Chinese Market

Chinese Market/Hospital, Roger Nott collection

 

The fresh water spring also attracted Chinese brothers named Ah Cheong who became growers of Darwin’s first market garden. This was clearly documented in Goyder’s survey plan of 1872. The brothers operated the garden and supplied vegetables to Darwin residents and the nearby hospital.

They returned to China in 1920 and transferred the lease of the property to George and Stella Carroll who continued the market garden operations until they were evacuated after the Japanese bombing of Darwin in 1942.